Monday, July 14, 2008

Whoo! Denali this weekend!

I was going to go hiking this past weekend in Chugach, and Buck and I were nearly out there on Saturday when I realized that I forgot the bear bells. That, combined with us getting a late start, made me re-think things. I was hoping that we'd be able to go Sunday, but it was overcast all day and looked like it was about to start raining the whole day. But it meant that I got nearly all the cleaning done for my friend Ang's visit.

She gets here Wednesday afternoon and then we head up for our Denali trek on Friday afternoon. We'll stay at a B&B in Healy Friday night so that we can catch the first bus into the campground Saturday morning. It'll make it easier to spot animals, too- then we'll know where not to go hiking. Hee! We'll have a map, compass, a survival kit, first aid kit, bear spray, bear bells, and a satellite phone (regular cell phones don't work out there, so don't be surprised when my phone goes straight to voicemail). LOL! I think we're fully prepared. :) And we're just day hiking- no camping out in the backwoods for us. Wonder Lake has sites for tent camping, so there'll be other people there. Hopefully any bears will eat them instead of us. I'll make sure to coat someone else's tent with honey to be sure. Heh! Kidding!

Anyway, awesome pictures will be posted sometime next Tuesday, possibly next Monday night depending on how early we get back. I figure two full days and one half day will be enough hiking for us. And if not, Ang can go hike the Chugach while I'm recovering on Tuesday. :)

No comments: