Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Lots of light

I think all summer I'm going to be remarking on the amount of light we have up here. It's 11:30 and I can still see the light on the horizon out my window. Buck and I went on an eight mile or so walk yesterday and then had herding today. We both did well in herding class, but he definitely did a better job than I did. I might have a bit of video with the both of us later this week.

I got into a class I need for work at the last minute, so I'll be going to California from May 11th-16th, specifically Anaheim not far from Disneyland. I registered for the class, and booked the hotel, plane ticket and boarding for Buck all this afternoon before taking off for herding class. I'm glad I got into the class though. It's good timing to do it now since I'll need it for work I'll be doing this summer and the only other time it's offered is in July. It'd be in between people coming to visit, but just barely, and I need that week to get things ready and work a few extra hours so that I can skip out early a couple days. Being in Las Vegas would not be helpful.

Anyway, since I'm always talking about the sun being up for forever here, I thought I could offer some photographic explanation. Namely that the sun arcs so much that it doesn't really 'go down' as much as go across the sky. Heh! Here's proof using Mount Susitna as a reference point:

This is probably around 8 pm or so.


This is around 9:15-9:30 pm


Just before 10 pm


It's also super apparent if you are sitting on my couch and the sun is not in your eyes, then in your eyes, then goes from the far left of the wall of windows to the far right before setting. Heh!

The rest of the pictures from the walk are here. If you look for the Slideshow button at the upper right of that page, you can view them all in a larger window in original size. It even scrolls through for you.

No comments: